Take heed, vape devices CAN explode.
Back in the summer of 2017, a bomb disposal unit was rushed to Euston station in London after a loud bang was heard from inside the station. At a time when the police and the public were especially jumpy (and for good reason), commuters fell into a mass panic and ran, screaming from the station. This led to the police cordoning off the station and caused massive delays across the city.
The culprit was not a bomb scare, but an exploding vape device. In large crowds, these devices have been known to cause mass panic and even if you’re by yourself and your vape device goes off, it can hurt you and others in the direct vicinity.
This is usually a problem which occurs in unregulated vape devices, those which make the most of flexible inner components which can be swapped and chopped to the tastes of the vaper. However, vape malfunctions do extend to simpler devices such as the cigalike and the vape pen if you do not handle your equipment correctly.
Why do vape devices explode?
There are a range of reasons why vape devices explode and many of them can lead to damaging effects that can harm your physically and even start fires in your home. From vape spit back burning your mouth or face, to a loss of teeth due to a vape blowing up in your mouth, there are a wide range of injuries which have occurred due to vape devices bursting. The one thing which is common to all cases is that each accident was very much avoidable.
Shorting the circuit
This is a problem which mostly occurs in unregulated mods. The unregulated mod is unique in that it gives the vaper a chance to build their own deck. This means you have to have a knowledge of circuit building and the components in a vape device but also mean that you have more freedom. Without this knowledge, it is very easy to get the voltages wrong, or even bring too much power into your vape device. This can lead to short circuits and vape devices bursting.
Overcharging your device
Leaving your vape device or rechargeable batteries to charge for too long can lead to them shorting your vapes circuit. If you’re trying to maintain a vape devices health, make sure that you don’t leave your batteries on charge when they are full. If this doesn’t lead to a full on vape explosion, then it can lead to a life lessened battery pack. Ironically, charging your batteries for too long will make them last far less.
Whilst high quality devices should be a given, batteries are often overlooked in regards to quality. In general we take batteries as a given. They are often thought to be of high quality whilst in reality, if you’re not careful you could be placing damaged goods into your vape device. Rewrapped batteries are often pre used and damaged, leading to them exploding when inside your vape device.
Power button problems
This is one which relates to vape pens as well. The power button on a device is the button you press to engage the battery. When this is held down, you can inhale vapour as the circuit has gone live. If your vape battery power button has been jammed, then you run the risk of over charging your circuit.
Knowing your electrics
So, what do you do to avoid a vape explosion? First off, if you don’t know your electrics then steer clear of unregulated mods, and if you go for a simpler device such as a vape pen, always read the manual to make sure you’re using the right batteries and the right charging kit.
Only use quality products
Finally, make sure you only buy quality products. London vape shops are high in number, much like in any other city, and are well known for selling only the best vape devices. Always be wary of second hand devices and off brand vape juices, ensuring that if you shop online that you do a background check on the company you’re buying from. Buying faulty products can be extremely dangerous, whether it be bootlegged and toxic vape juices or devices which could short out on you.